ELMER� GLASS� WORKS
When talking about the Elmer Glass Works, it must be remembered that there were two glass factories in Elmer.��� They were in business about the same time, and there were some similarities in the products.��� First was the Lower Works, and then the Upper Works was added.�� Overall, there was glass production in Elmer a little more than twenty years, but it was a very bumpy twenty years for the various owners.�� I�ve presented this information as best as possible using newspaper clips and other notes.��� Any additional information about the ownerships and products will be welcomed.
THE LOWER WORKS
The following was reported in the Dec. 27, 1883 Camden Daily Courier.�� �The Elmer Glass Manufacturing Company, in Salem County, will be ready to go into operation by the middle of January.� The Works will give employment to about sixty men and boys.�� The factory will contain a four-stone oven and a double set of flattening stones.�� The engine room is 24x24, blowing house 80x80, cutting house 24x60, flattening house 40x80 and the pot house 24x48.����� This is the description of a glass factory that will make window glass.��� There is one reference indicating the name was �Elmer Window Light Co.���
The Camden Daily Courier reported on March 12, 1885, that the new glass works at Elmer will begin operations on April1st.�� It obviously took longer to build the factory than originally thought.�� This is why the dates for the start of the Elmer Glass Works range from 1883 to 1885.� It appears that the Elmer plant was making window glass in the latter part of the 1880�s.
In 1889, the factory was purchased by James Butcher and George G. Waddington.�� At that time the work force was at 75, and they manufactured coach, car, single and double thick window glass.��� They had one eight pot furnace and produced first class window glass.�� Butcher and Waddington also operated a large general store near the factory.�
During the 1890�s, a man by the name of Deijo operated the facility.�� There is little known of him, and it is assumed he operated the factory for Butcher & Waddington.��� Albert Sturr purchased the property early in 1900.��
Mr. Sturr leased sections of his facility to three different firms making different products.�� There was the Improved Gilchrist Jar Co. making milk glass lid inserts for their fruit jars.��� NJ Metal Co. produced metal jar lids for the 1858 type Mason Jars.� Also the Sterling Glass Co. made pressed glass items, including insulators.�� Some of the insulators are embossed with the word �Sterling� in script, while others contained the English insignia for the Pound.���
In 1903, the Harloe Insulator Co., of Hawley, Pa. succeeded the Sterling Glass Co. and produced insulators for about six months.��� In late 1903, Harloe withdrew, leading Albert Sturr to sell the factory to the Parker Bros. of Bridgeton.�� Production of insulators started again in 1904, and continued for a period of time, but it is not clear how long or if it was continuous.�� The glass factory finally closed in 1907.
THE UPPER WORKS
In 1896, five acres of land were purchased along the railroad, just north of the Elmer-Malaga Road, by the G. M. Bassett Glass Co.�� A glass factory was built and went into production making various types of bottles.�� When the factory was sold a few years later, there were 185 different bottle moulds.���� Mr. Bassett had a tumultuous time with the glass workers.�� One account indicates he treated then unfairly and compelled them to buy their goods from the company store.
In 1899, the property was sold to the Gilchrist Jar Company.��� Fruit jars and lids, along with round and rectangular battery jars were now products of the Upper Works.�� The fruit jars included the Gilchrist jar, the Doolittle Self Sealer, and the RAG jar.��� The Gilchrist Company also had difficulties, this time with a patent infringement with the Cumberland Glass Co. as the complainant.����� The factory was again sold in 1901, to the Novelty Glass Manufacturing Co.��� Novelty Glass made insulators, along with battery jars and door knobs.���
The Brookfield Glass Co., a dominating producer of insulators brought suit against Novelty, for patent infringement of their mould machines.��� After a long court battle, the Novelty Glass Co. had to shut down, and sell assets to pay court costs.�� The factory was then bought by R. Morris Davis, using the name Elmer Glass Works, in early 1904.�� The factory continued making insulators using Duffield machines.�� Thomas Duffield had won an infringement suit brought against his machines by the Brookfields.��� Many different types of insulators were produced, but there is little information about them.���
The Upper Works was sold to Isaac L. Shoemaker in July 1907.�� It apparently ceased operation sometime in 1907.�������